Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Don't Trust Everything You Think

I weep with sorrow; encourage me by Your Word.
Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing Your instructions. I have chosen to be faithful; 
I have determined to live by Your regulations.
Psalm 119:28-30 NLT

Sometimes I hear my inside voice say, "I will never be happy again" or "life is over".  "I will be alone forever" or "Where's God?"  "Failure!" "Does God really love me?" or sometimes just questioning, "Why? Lord, why?"

David (the Psalmist) recognizes this voice and realizes we can't trust those thoughts.  He pens, "keep me from lying to myself."  We can be so deep in personal pain and so desperate to hear the truth we need to be on guard not to trust our negative thoughts.  We can lie to ourselves and these lies need to be refuted. I was following a jeep the other day that had a bumper sticker that stated, "Don’t trust everything you think."

Not only do we have to watch our own thoughts but well-meaning friends and family can mislead us.  When a loved one is hurting our natural tendency is to fix it and make it better. The free flowing advice of our friends can leave us confused. God's Word is the truth we so desperately long for through our weeping and grief.  We can be encouraged by the Word of Truth.

How do I keep from lying to myself?  Will I believe the negative voice in me or believe God's Word of truth?  The truth is Jesus loves me deeply.  He heals the broken hearted and binds up wounds (Ps. 147:3).  Do I deny my real feeling by quoting quips and clichés? Hardly! Honestly, I resent when someone quotes Bible verses and pats my back in a way that devalues my genuine heart and dismisses my deep questions.  I will confront my very real fears and my changes of feelings.  I will dig deep into the Word to find the truth to sooth my pain. I will choose to believe the Word of Truth! I will choose to be faithful and determine to live according to Truth.

Silence the voice of lies within me, Spirit of Truth, and heal my brokenness through the truth of your Word.  I choose to live and believe the Scriptures.  Thank you Lord, that you are constant during my roller coaster emotions!

No comments:

Post a Comment