Friday, December 2, 2011

My Story

In 2003 my husband, myself and 2 of our children moved to Alaska to carry on a small church whose Pastors died in a head-on car crash on Christmas eve 2002.  We arrived and ministered to a small grieving congregation.  Our church began Community Cafe, a free dinner open to the public a couple nights a week.  Faithful volunteers would prepare the meals.  Our sole purpose was to eat dinner with our neighbors, building a trusting friendship across the table and help them in their journey to Jesus.  We would accept and love people in a non-judgemental way.  As the friendships grew we had the opportunity to lead many to the Lord and baptize them.  The discipleship began with Bible Studies, Home groups and INSTE (Institute of Theology by Extension).

We developed a website that caught the attention of many around the nation and on the continent of Africa and Australia.  Over the years several churches sent short term mission groups up to our church.  We expanded the kitchen, restrooms/showers and property through generous gifts and the short term missionaries.

We added a food bank that quickly expanded to over 400 families per month (representing about 2,000 people that were touched through the ministry).  For a small community of 2800 (2010 census) that was about 70% of the community.  The church then added a clothing give-away every week.

The enemy did not like what we were doing and began the attacks on our church, ministry and our family personally.  I stood in the gap, praying,  speaking forth the Word, combating spiritual warfare, fasting and believing Jesus would prevail and the enemy would be defeated.  

Our marriage suffered.  We went to marriage counseling for several months.  My husband finally announced that he needed to resign the church to work on his marriage and be a father to his children.   However, everyone was duped.  He left the church and a week later he left me and my son permanently.  A few weeks later he served me divorce papers. There are no words to explain the agony and deep pain I suffered through all this.  Dear friends were praying for me and I had friends close by that took days off work to be with me for hours.  My mother flew up within 4 days after he left.

Through all the deep agony I have been experiencing Jesus has been so close, walking me through every moment of every day.  This is a blog about my journey with Jesus during tremendous suffering and pain of losing 32 years of marriage and closing a church I poured my life into for years.  My purpose is to offer a small glimpse of hope in the midst of someone else's death blow of suffering. 

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. I Cor. 13:7

Rev. Shelly Blocker

3 comments:

  1. Shelly, I can't tell you how proud I am of you!!! May God reward you as you are standing steadfast in your reliance on Him, faithful in your commitment, and walking victoriously forward. You're a hero!

    Blessings, Kathy Conn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you my dear sister. Remain steadfast, always abounding in the works of the Lord !

    Brenda Crim
    Alaska Missions and Retreats
    akmissions.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly,
    You are such a strong and determined woman. You have over the years inspired me to hold on and draw from my faith to get me through the hard times. And like you there have been many. For a while I was lost and wondering looking for answers that didn't seem to be coming when I discovered I wasn't asking the right ones...
    My spiritual advisor suggested to me the following. When people walk away from you. Let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone (but God) who leaves you and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. God has better plans for you and even though you've been through hell and back you can still see the future in a postive and loving manner. Be strong. And look forward to your next round of adventure called life through the Lord.....

    ReplyDelete